Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An unforgettable day in my life


Life is full of many experiences and moments. These moments sometimes are forgotten while others remain deep in our mind and heart as memories. As the saying goes “memories are to be treasured not measured” we think about them, treasure them which in turn acts as a lesson learned and help us to go on with our life smoothly. I have had many unforgettable moments and among them the latest one which is still fresh in my mind is me using the US bus for the first time and finding the way back home.

Despite of my parents convincing me not to go to US, I arrived in the US on May 21 to continue my further studies in the Lincoln University. The long flight of 26 hours was really exhausting but the excitement of me being in the US really made me restless. I planned to go to the university the next day to conform about my admission. My uncle dropped me to the university, I got some information regarding my admission then I was ready to return home but the main problem was I had to catch a bus all by myself in that strange place and I was totally unaware about where to catch a bus though my uncle had previously told me that I would get the bus on broad way and he also told me to get off the bus on Santa Clara street. I walked out of the university totally new to the world outside .I started looking at each and every sign so as to find the Broadway. Finally I saw the Broadway, now the next problem I had was to find the bus station for the 51 bus(the bus to Alameda) .I saw an old woman standing by the road so I went up to her and asked where I could find the bus to Alameda but she was unaware of the bus route so I went up to one huge black lady and asked her about the bus, she pointed to a place across the street showing the station for the bus .I walked across the street still confused of the way (because I was kind of afraid standing beside that huge lady and so did not quietly concentrate on what she was saying) but then luckily I saw people waiting for the bus so I joined them. Finally the bus arrived and I made my 2 $ ready (the charge of the bus) .I had no clue how to pay the bus fair, I cleverly watched people scrolling their fair in the little box beside the driver. I tried to play cool as if I was not new to this system so I scrolled the money in the little box but the box didn’t accept the money ,I was so ashamed and then I found that my mistake was I had to scroll the money once at a time but I rolled the two $1 notes at the same time, so I nervously asked the driver for help ,seeing me nervous the driver asked if everything was alright. I felt everyone staring at me, I was red with shame so I quickly went towards the end of the bus. I kept myself alert so as to hear the driver calling out” Santa Clara “ street .It had been a long ride but I didn’t hear the call for Santa Clara street ,I thought maybe I had missed to hear the announcement , I was starting to get a little worried so I planned to get off the bus in the next stop.

A person ahead of me pushed the button at a stop so I jumped off from the bus completely new to the area. I didn’t have any cell phone to call to my uncle and know about the way back home. I decided to walk along the road searching for the house, I walked for about half an hour but didn’t see any familiar place. So I finally decided to ask the people walking on the road for the way to Santa Clara . I asked a guy about the address he too was new in the area but he was kind enough to help me .I went to his office waited outside while he went into his office and brought a map of Oakland and gave me instruction about how to follow the map. I thanked him and headed off my way following the map I thought I knew how to use the map but it was more confusing because I saw so many streets with the same name. I was in such a big dilemma .After walking clueless for about an hour and half . I saw two girls in their bicycle and so went up straight to them to ask about the way, they looked at the map and told me that I was 15 blocks away from my home. They clearly indicated the way back .Thanking them I followed their instruction and finally ended up being in front of my house.

That is one of the most memorable day in my life and whenever I get in the bus I picture myself being totally new to the bus system and laugh deep inside at my ignorance .Now I often use the bus to go to college or any other place so I can proudly say that I am an experienced bus rider and clearly know my way back to home .This is one of the experience that I’ll always remember and laugh about at times.

No comments: